Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Why Blog?

As a librarian with a classroom background, I feel lucky to have a unique view on the power of blogging and "real life" products. I've seen first hand the difference in product quality when the audience is a teacher versus other students or even -- dare we dream -- the entire world. That's the door that blogging opens. Students can produce work for not just themselves, not just the teacher, not even their parents, but for all the world to see.

I would love to use blogs more in my media center. I dream of the day that I can collaborate with teachers to create student-drive blogs that promote books, authors, genres, and even ideas for new books. Instead of the played out book report, why not post a blog entry with a summary and a student's opinion of the book? Other classes can then read the blogs, read the recommended books, and then post responses!

Unfortunately, there are a lot of logistical nightmares that go along with this. The primary problem we have is getting email accounts for students. There are also issues convincing administration to allow students such drastic freedoms. Who would monitor it? What if they post inappropriate comments? What if... What if... What if... That attitude is holding back our students.

I hope that my school finally gets on the bandwagon and sees the potential of clssroom blogs. The kids just might surprise us. In fact, I'm sure they will. They just need the opportunity.

1 comment:

  1. I love that you commented on the logistical nightmares that blogs may create. I feel like many counties shy away from this new technology specifically for that fact. I take it as my personal responsibility as a media specialist to help teachers and county supervisors answer those questions. You are so right with what blogs can do, we owe it to our kids to enlighten the powers that be!

    ReplyDelete